Suggest treatment for diarrhea in a baby

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Tue, 7 Apr 2015 in Child Health
Question: Hi dr my 5 month old baby had diarrhoea since 3 days the first day she passed a lot of motions at one time, the next day 3 with traces of blood and mucus and third day 2 motions which were green in color. Did a stool test which says mucus present occult blood present traces leucocytes many. Could you please help me with the report
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The report is suggestive of dysentery

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Loose stool with blood and mucus with the stool report also confirming it; in the presence of leucocytes suggest bacterial infection of the intestine.The condition is called dysentery.

The passage of green color of stool is a common finding during diarrhea or dysentery. The normal yellow color of stool is due to the presence of some pigments. In case of dysentery the motility of intestine increases which gives a little time for production of pigments which are responsible for the normal color.

Give her antibiotic and zinc after consulting your pediatrician. Also give plenty of fluids(ORS) with frequent breast feed to prevent the dehydration.

Watch for signs of dehydration or severe infection like decreased urine output,poor oral acceptance,persistent vomiting,persistent fever or excessive irritability/letharginess.If you notice any of these immediately take her to emergency room.
I would be glad to answer if you have any further query.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar 13 minutes later
I've started with rinofil 2.5 ml twice a day starting today. She seems active. Also if you can tell me the cause of this infection.

Also I forgot to mention the result also said no parasites
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Antibiotic treatment should be started

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Rinofil contains menthol and is used for mild cough and cold.Use of menthol in infants is not very well studied.
The common causes of infection in infants of this age are poor hygiene of care taker and bottle feed.
As stool picture is suggestive of infection and also there is passage of blood and mucus,I would suggest you to consult a pediatrician to start an antibiotic along with other medication needed.
If you have more concerns, you can ask.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E