• question-icon

Suggest treatment for diarrhea, fever and vomiting

Posted on Mon, 7 Aug 2017 in Child Health
Question: Hello Dr,
My son is 7months old .suffering from loose motions from 3 says with dark green colour poo , sometimes Brown. Is on syrup forteBC and econorm XXXXXXX and zifi 100mg twice .but still no improvement. Pls suggest. He don't have fever and vomiting
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The condition is normal and nothing to be concerned about

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through your query and understand your concerns. Let me assure you that it is normal for or a baby of this age to pass stool several times a day or even after each feed. Alternatively the child may pass stool once in 10 days and that is normal too. Unless the stool is hard and pellet like, you need not grow concerned. It is also normal to pass green stool or a combination of yellow stool. The green colour occurs due to rapid transit through large intestine where the bile pigments do not get adequate time to convert to the yellow colour of stool. It is also normal to pass green stool or a combination of yellow stool.

Unless the stool routine microscopy shows a raised pus cell count no antibiotics need to be given. However, since you have already started the antibiotic (Zifi) you must complete the course. Econorm too is not necessary as the situation is actually normal and therefore no change is to be expected.

If the child is passing urine 4-6 times or more per 24 hours, nothing needs to be done and you need not get concerned.

Let me know if you have further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 15 minutes later
But dr is used to do once a day prior to this ...is it Becoz of teething ??
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Putting things in the mouth could have a role to play

Detailed Answer:
I understand. Teething does not directly affect bowel habits. However, during teething children tend to put things in the mouth and that could give some infection which could lead to loose stools. Probably your doctor is talking about that. However, unless a stool test indicates raised pus cell count, I would not really worry about it.

Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 2 hours later
Sir ,
How much days he will take to recover as I had started zifi yest ni8...today his fequency has increased...
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No need to worry.

Detailed Answer:
Since the situation is already in the normal range there is nothing to recover from. I will suggest that you complete the course of antibiotics (5 days) and stop. The loose stools could continue for two or three days after the completion of the course of antibiotics. You would have to bear with it.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician