• question-icon

Suggest treatment for diarrhea, constipation and abdominal cramps

Posted on Thu, 1 Jun 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I seem to have diarrhea, constipation and cramps after I eat every few days since the first of this month. I take VSL 3 but does not seem to be helping. I was told I may have IBS or Colitis. next month I am going to my M.D.
Answered by Dr. Sunil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
IBS is a diagnosis of exclusion.

Detailed Answer:
Dear patient have gone through your detalts and i appreciate your concerns.

Irritable bowel syndrome is a diagnosis of exclusion.In easy language when a gastroenterologist can't find out any cause despite of extensive investigations patient is labelled to have IBS.

Initially as you say you have only tried probiotic till date.As you are having a short history of symptoms initially i would suggest you to take a short term course of Ofloxacin with Metronidazole(5-7 days).
Apart from that few tests like Endoscopy,Colonoscopy and stool test should be done to rule out any other possibility.

Without these tests a patient can't be labbeled as having IBS.

I would strongly recommend you to follow a couse of antibiotics with probiotic and digestive enzymes and folow up after 7 days.

Thank you and may god bless you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Sunil

Gastroenterologist