• question-icon

Suggest treatment for diarrhea, bloating, nausea and excessive burping

Posted on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I am having diarea, blotting, nausea, lots of burbing for the last 4 days.what do I have, what an I do about it, and how long will it lasts?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
hold off solids, fluid replacement, medications

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

These symptoms are most commonly due to a viral or bacterial infection of the gastrointestinal tract.
In most cases, it is symptomatic treatment only (Treat specific symptoms not the cause of the symptoms)

In general, symptoms last a week to 10 days, rarely longer than this.

Treatment: (1) hold off all solid food till there is a 4 hour window with no diarrhea and also reduced symptoms

When this 4 hour window occurs, start with small amounts of dry foods like biscuits , toast, plain rice

If you use food before the colon is ready, it would aggravate the symptoms and delay healing

(2) probiotics have been shown to help in some persons with diarrhea. They help restore the normal healthy bacteria in the colon

(3)fluids are very important. There is decreased intake as well as fluid loss from the diarrhea.
This fluid and electrolytes need to be replaced. You can use oral rehydration packets or dilute sport drinks

(4)pepto bismol or dramamine would help with the nausea. Pepto bismol would also help with the diarrhea, bloating, burping
Pepto bismol would temporarily turn the stool dark

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 25 minutes later
Thank you it does sound righr

How long am I contagious?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
when the diarrhea stops

Detailed Answer:
HI

Sorry about the delayed reply

When the diarrhea stops, you are no longer contagious even if the bloating and burping continue
Dr. Michelle Gibson James