Suggest treatment for diarrhea after having food

Dr. Sudhir

Posted on Tue, 26 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I deployed to afghan in 2011 and during that time i gor really sick and couldnt stop going diarrhea. I was constantly eating afgahn food which makes me believe i have some type of parasite. Ever since then my bowel movements have be sudden and frequent. Recently i have had bouts of green stool sometimes diarrhea. On other days my stool is soft. I have abdominal pain that comes with it.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
This needs to be investigated.

Detailed Answer:

Since this has been going on for a long, you need few investigations before a treatment is planned.

Such symptoms can be seen in intestinal infections, intestinal parasites, polyposis, inflammatory bowel disease, irritable bowel syndrome and food intolerance or allergies.

Few investigations which can help diagnose underlying cause are stool analysis, blood investigations, ultrasound and colonoscopy etc.

One gets green stool , when bowel contents mixed with green colored bile pass off guts rapidly before normally green colored bile turns brown colored.

So ideal step would be to see gastroenterologist and get investigations done to plan a effective treatment.

Meanwhile routine antidiarrheal medications and drinking adequate water can help.

Please ask if there are doubts.Regards.

Follow up: Dr. Sudhir 1 hour later
Could this something that i got when i was deployed
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, you might have got this when deployed.

Detailed Answer:
Yes, you might have got this when deployed.But investigations will make things more clear.Regards.