• question-icon

Suggest treatment for diarrhea, acid reflux and belching

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hello. July 4th I started with diarrhea. It was accompanied by bloated stomach and gas. No fever, no chills. July 5th, I felt very lethargic, had nausea and every time a drank or ate anything, it went right through me. Diarrhea yellow and watery. Gas pain and belching. This is day 4, I have not lost my appetite, but continue to have cramping, indigestion and belching, especially after I have eaten. I still feel lethargic. I am concerned this is not a bug as originally thought? Your thoughts?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
hold off solids, fluid replacement, medications

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Diarrhea, cramping, indigestion and belching is most commonly due to an infection/bug , as you mentioned.
In most cases it is viral and resolves on its own, even with bacterial infections, it is possible for the infection to resolve with only symptomatic treatment.

Because an infection is present, the bowels cannot work as they should , they cannot absorb solid food as they normally would and the use of solid food when the bowel is not well, causes the symptoms to last longer or become more severe.
Food when the bowel is not well, stresses it out.

Normally, the following is advised: (1)hold off all solid food till there is a 4 hour window with no vomiting
This window means that the bowels are getting better . At that point, only a small amount of dry solid foods (toast or biscuits or plain rice) or banana is started

If this is tolerated, then the amount is increased

(2)liquids are important to replace the fluids being loss if you are still have diarrhea. Oral hydration drinks or sport drinks would be the best options

(3)probiotics- these can help slow down the condition. You can use them on their own or use yogurt with probiotics

(4)medication such as pepto bismol may help calm down these symptoms as well. The stool can darken with pepto bismol so if you notice, do not be alarmed. It returns to normal

Diarrhea, indigestion, cramping can last more than a week in some persons especially if the bowel is not given time to rest and repair.

I hope this helps , feel free to ask any other questions
Dr. Michelle Gibson James