Suggest treatment for diabetic retinopathy

Dr. Dadapeer K

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Thu, 24 Apr 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: My mother is having visibility problem in the left eye, when we checked they told some hard exudes are identified and getting back vision is a problem because of this. Is there any treatment available for the exudes.
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 44 minutes later
Brief Answer: She is having diabetic retinopathy. Detailed Answer: Hello Welcome to Health care magic Iam Dr. Dadapeer K, an ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye. I reviewed the history, your mother is known diabetic and having diminution of vision and on examination it was told that she is having hard exudates in the retina which are causing vision problems. This indicates that your mother is having diabetic retinopathy related problems which are common in diabetic patients. The first thing to be done is appropriate control of diabetes as per the advice of your diabetologist or physician. Hence she needs to undergo blood tests like fasting blood sugar, post prandial blood sugar and HbA1c or glycosylated hemoglobin. The target should be to keep HbA1c or glycosylated hemoglobin within 7 which indicates adequate control of diabetes. She should also undergo lipid profile as hard exudates some times indicate altered lipid profile and treatment by lipid level lowering drugs as per the advice of your physician prevent the onset or delay the progression of diabetic retinopathy. The treatment of the eye condition is definitely possible and this requires evaluation by a ophthalmologist or preferably a retina specilaist to assess the severity of the condition by tests like fundus fluorescein angiograhy and ocular coherence tomography. The probabale cause in your mothers case is clinically significant macular edema with hard exudates in the macular region of the retina. The treatment options are laser photocoagulation or intra vitreal injections of steroids like triamcinolone or intra vitreal injections of anti vascular endothelial factors or both. With these treatments the further progression of vision loss can be prevented and in some cases improvement in the vision is also possible. Hence I advice you to not worry but to get evaluated by ophthalmologist and treatment accordingly depending on the stage and severity of the disease.