Suggest treatment for diabetic neuropathy

Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Diabetes
Question: What significant remedial treatment, if any, is there for T2 diabetic peripheral neuropathic numbness in feet and legs to calf height, as well as R.H. thumb and 2 fingertips. Condition is significantly impairing mobility and balance. Currently dosing with B1 (Benfo.), B12, ALA, L Acetyl Carnitine and CoQ10. Not doing much.
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
About diabetic neuropathy:

Detailed Answer:

Diabetic neuropathy very rarely affects the nerves of upper extremities and is almost always bilateral, so for the numbness of the fingers of the right hand another cause should be found and treated accordingly.

Peripheral diabetes neuropathy (if confirmed) treatment is not very efficient and consists mainly in nerve nutrients. You do not report pain, so analgesics or pregabalin and gabapentin would not be suggested.

Except of Acetyl carnitine and CoQ10 , alfa lipoic-acid is proved to relieve the numbness, so you may discuss with your treating physician about using it.
Of course trying to keep the blood sugar under control is the only way to prevent further damages.

Hope i have been helpful.
Kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana