Suggest treatment for diabetic nephropathy

Posted on Fri, 10 Oct 2014 in Kidney Conditions
Question: my dad is 62 years old and a diabetic patient. His creatinine value is 3.2 mg/dL. Can it be cured with medicine or do we need to go for dialysis?
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detail Follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Friend.
Welcome to HCM. I am Dr Anshul Varshney. I understand your concern.
It seems he is suffering from Diabetic Nephropathy.
There are no particular drugs which can cure this. Actually this is result of permanent insult to Kidney. On the other hand it is not essential that a person who gets Nephropathy would need dialysis. However if the Kidney Function worsens and he develops complications he would eventually require dialysis.
I need to know:
1. His current blood sugar levels.
2. His blood pressure readings.
3. His hemoglobin level.
4. His Blood Urea, Serum Potassium, Serum Calcium , Serum Albumin and Urine routine reports.
5. On what all medicines he is ?
6. Ultrasound Kidney and Bladder report.
If possible attach all the reports.
Revert with asked details.

Follow up: Dr. Anshul Varshney 4 minutes later
Thanks doctor. He had Liver Cirrhosis and undergoing treatment for the same.
His current blood sugar levels are 270 PP and blood pressure reading is 170/90.
His haemoglobin level is 12.3.His scan report says his kidney is working as expected. Will try to scan and upload it. He is taking vitamin tablets for Liver issue and diabetes tablet. Recenlty he had fever and took some antibiotics. His serum Creatinine level used to be 1.4 to 1.6. Only by this time it went to 3.2.
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detail Follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Friend.
In such scenario there is a possibility of an Acute insult to the kidney on the preexisting chronic kidney disease. The acute insult can be due to Infection.
So once Infection is under control and he is well hydrated get his Kidney Function test repeated. I am hopeful from the available details that serum creatinine would return back to the pre Infection level.
If he is passing adequate Urine and is comfortable he doesn't require dialysis at present.
I also advise a very strict control of his blood pressure and Blood sugar levels. The above mentioned values are not at all acceptable.
He requires a perfect control to prevent further damage to his kidneys.
Also if not done get his Urine for Albumin. If he is passing albumin in Urine, he would require a low protein diet.
If you have any further query please ask me.
Stay Healthy
Dr. Anshul Varshney