Suggest treatment for diabetes

Diabetologist
Question
My sugar level is too high, taking 2 hourly reports and for last 3 days fasting is 300 to 306, Post lunch more thant 340 to 360. Today I got the lowest after my lunch is 240.
Posted Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Diabetes

Answered by Dr. Phanindra Dulipala 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Increase in dosage of medication is necessary.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mr. XXXXXXX I had gone through your query and understood your concerns.

Dear Sir, In a long standing diabetes, with time the Dosage of medication which controlled the sugar levels for a long time become ineffective in controlling the sugar levels after some time. This is due to further less production of insulin. This is normal in most of the diabetics. The higher sugar levels you have mentioned shows the same.

In such a case, what you need is either increase of dose of drug or addition of another drug. If I were your treating doctor, I would advice either glimipiride 2mg. in the morning and in the night 15min. before food. Or Tab. voglibose 0.2mg. thrice daily just before or with food. Blood monitoring is necessary every week. Once the sugar levels are set under control. Combination drugs are advised in order to reduce the number of tablets.

You can discuss these changes with your treating doctor.

Hope this guides you. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can please close the discussion and rate the answer. Thank you.
Dr Phanindra Dulipala.
Diabetologist.