Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

176 Doctors Online
Owl Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for diabetes type II

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 591 Questions
OK. I was officially diagnosed with diabetes type II by a VA doctor in early 2011. But, he also told me that as far as he was concerned, I was diabetic long before he became my provider. It appears that my glucose readings with VA had been in the 126-160 range sfor five years prior to the official dianosis in 2011. Is he correct, should I have been declared or diagnosed as having diabeted type II since my first reading at VA...which was 151 ?
Wed, 13 Aug 2014 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Phanindra Dulipala 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please specify whether the values are of FBS/PPBS

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir, I had gone through your query and understood your concerns.

Sir, The sugar levels you have mentioned are not specific, Please mention whether they are Fasting or Post meals. If they are fasting values, then 151 is also diagnosed as diabetic. But, you will be advised diet and exercise initially and after some time if still blood sugar levels are not under control, then we advice medication. But if they are post meals then beyond 200 is diagnosed as diabetic.

Hope this guides you. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can please close the discussion and rate the answer. Thank you.
Wishing you good health.
Dr Phanindra Dulipala.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Diabetologist