• question-icon

Suggest treatment for diabetes and recurrent bladder infections

Posted on Fri, 14 Jul 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I have diabetes and my sugar has been high since I am very bad with the sweets. I was getting a bladder infection as I had to go the bathroom very often and now that has stopped and I have been getting a yeast infection very often. if I take a shower it subsides a little, but when I go to bed it starts that crazy itch and if I don't take a shower every day it is worse. they took a urine test and said my white cells are high and there is blood in my urine. they said to go to a eurologist. I will make an apptment on Monday. I am starting to worry. the funny thing the nurse said is I have the white cells and blood in my urine, but I don't have an infection. Is that the nuttiest.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Not the nuttiest. You need to be treated with antibiotics.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Diabetes is known to depress immunity.

Urinary tract infections are often encountered in females of your age and diabetes makes it even more likely. The same goes for yeast infections. In a case of such an infection, you need to drink plenty of water. That could also help in reducing the itchiness. Some antiallergic like cetirizine can help in reducing the itchiness.

The raised WBC count indicates that the body is trying to fight the infection. The nurse could have mentioned that the culture report is negative or that the urine microscopy does not reveal the presence of bacteria but that does not mean that you do not have an infection.

Sometimes a bacterial culture can be negative even if you have an infection. Bacteria might not always be visualized. But the increase in WBC count as well as the blood in stool warrants treatment with antibiotics.

Your urologist would be able to evaluate you clinically and would be able to administer appropriate treatment. Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha