Suggest treatment for diabetes and hypothyroidism

Diabetologist
Question
I have turned diabetic since the last year. I was at a FBS of 220 & PPBS of 280 I am on metformin 1000mg twice per day with food. My FBS is around 140 & PPBS is around 180. HbA1c is at around 7.6. The values have remained there over the past 6 months. Is that the best result I can expect our of metformin ? I am 38 years, XXXXXXX male strict vegetarian, non smoker & non alcoholic. Exercise 20 Kms of walk per week. Wt around 81kg & height around 5 ft 10. I follow the diet chart diligently.

I am hypothyroid for 10 years & am on eltroxin 100mcg per day
Posted Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Phanindra Dulipala 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Addition of Gliclazide is advised

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mr XXXXXXX I had gone through your query and understood your concerns.

First let me appreciate for your positive approach regarding diet and exercise.
Sir If I were your treating doctor, I would advice addition of Gliclazide along with Metformin.

You can discuss this with your treating doctor.

Hope this guides you. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can please close the discussion and rate the answer. Thank you.
Dr Phanindra Dulipala.
Diabetologist.