Suggest treatment for developmental delays in a child

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: dear doctor my son is 5 and a half year old and with developmental delays. he is not Toilet trained even after so much of training he will go. if we say him to go independently he will go but only once in a blue moon he will tell by himself. his understanding is not that bad and doing well in academic. we went to urologist. heat ask us to go for systomtry so as to know the functioning of his bladder to know whether its functioning normal or misbehaving and if it is misbehaving that means it is not getting full and he is not feeling that paint to tell su su. does it make some sense and is it possible? please advise as we are very much confused.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Your son has incontinence of urine

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that your 5 years old son has voiding dysfunction (Incontinence of urine )

I shall be happy if you can post me few more details to help me in making comments on your problem.
1) Does he have incontinence during night (Nocturnal Enuresis) ?
2) Does he have constipation ?
3) How is his mental development is it normal,.delayed or retarded for his age ?
4) How long you have given him bladder training ?
5) Does he have urgency for urination ?

Normally in male child sense for urination or continence develops by the age of 6 years however in 5% of children it may get delayed up to the age of 10 years.

You can certainly wait till the age pf 9 years .There is no need to be panic or confused .

Following general measure do help to become a child continent
1) Bladder training ..This is very important aspect that parents have to follow by training the child every two hours to make him to go to toilet and to pass urine
2) Avoid Chocolates ,caffeine etc
3) If has constipation he should be given more fibers and mild laxatives to make the stools soft
4) If he has urgency you can give him Oxybutinin once daily .

In most of the cases if the child has no neurological deficit these measures do help to make a child continent by the age of 10 years .

I would suggest you to wait and watch for 2-3 yrs more before you subject him to various tests .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil