Suggest treatment for detection of corynebacteria species in urine sample

Dr. Sheetal Verma

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Tue, 31 Mar 2015 in Infections
Question: Hi. I had a UA done and all results came back normal except for rare bacteria. Culture was done and on the first day it said zero growth. The final day it stated 60,000 cfu/ml of corynebacterium species - susceptibilities will not be performed. What does that specifically mean and do I have a UTI? I just got over one a month ago.
Answered by Dr. Sheetal Verma 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not necessarily UTI. It can be contaminant.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I understand your concern and situation.

As I understand you had a urine analysis done. And culture sample on the third day revealed Corynebacteria species.

Well, Corynebacteria is a gram-positive positive bacteria which has several species. C diphtheriae infection causes local inflammation, usually in the upper respiratory tract, associated with toxin-mediated cardiac and neural disease. But there are other species. It may have been better if you had mentioned in your case which strain was found.

Anyway, corynebacteria usually do not cause UTI. But rarely few species have been reported and in some cases it was found as a part of contaminant flora of urogenital tract. Since the culture had colonies only on the third day, it is most likely the result of contamination and not urinary infection. Further this bacteria is not drug resistant bacteria and is treated with normal antibiotics like penicillin or erythromycin. In view of these two reasons, I assume the microbiologist did not consider performing drug susceptibility on this sample. If you are symptomatic (have increased frequency, burning sensation while passing urine or difficulty in urination) then I suggest a repeat urine examination for culture sensitivity test for aerobic and anaerobic bacteria done for 3 consecutive days after proper collection.

In other words, if you are currently asymptomatic I don't think you have UTI. This urine analysis report is most likely as a result of contamination (which are not uncommon).

I hope I answered your query. I am sorry for the delayed reply. You can take a follow-up query if you need clarifications. Else you may close this discussion and rate.

Dr. Sheetal Verma
Infectious diseases Specialist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Sheetal Verma 14 hours later
Hi thank you very much. All the urine culture stated was that it was the corynebacterium species - it did not state the type of species. Also even if contaminated, isn't 60,000 cfu/ml growth a lot? I am currently pregnant and the last treatment they had me take for a uti was nitrofurantoin for 10 days and I finished that up about 3 -4 weeks ago. So I asked the doctor to do another UA to make sure.
Answered by Dr. Sheetal Verma 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
See detailed answer.

Detailed Answer:
Well come back.
Ok I went through your issues. Then it could be Corynebacterium such as dipltheroids which found in genital area no matter what is the colony count it does not proves it is an infection. The same bacteria must be isolated from repeated tests to say it is pathogenic. So kindly get tests repeated if you have symptoms. If no symptoms and it was found on routine test it is of no significance. Nitrofurantoin is a good antibiotic which works quite well with urinary tract infections and is safe in pregnancy. Sometimes if patients do not respond they need prolonged treatment or switch to another antibiotic based on sensitivity test results.
Dr. Sheetal Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Pradeep Vitta