Suggest treatment for dermatomyositis
Treatment seems to be proceeding on right lines
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.
Dermatomyositis is characterized by inflammation of the skin and underlying muscle tissue, involving degeneration of collagen, discoloration, and swelling, typically occurring as an autoimmune condition. However underlying cancers also need to be ruled out. Prednisone (prescription medication) is the first-line therapy for muscle involvement in dermatomyositis and should be tried first. The dose is altered according to the response of the patient’s condition. The next line of treatment is with immunosuppressive drugs like Tacrolimus or Methotrexate. Disease modifying agents like antimalarials, particularly hydroxychloroquine, can also be tried. I see that you are already being treated with these. Whether any modification of the regimen needs to be done depends upon the response. Else, this treatment should suffice and should be continued. Intravenous immunoglobulin (IVIG) is also beneficial for both cutaneous and muscular involvement and may be given from time to time.
Let me know if I could help further.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Treatment for dermatomyositis weakness and pain despite steroid medicines
- What is the treatment for dermatomyositis
- Treatment and cure for amyopathic dermatomyositis
- Dermatomyositis natural treatment
- Treatment and cure for dermatomyositis
- Are chemo shots the correct treatment for dermatomyositis
- Treatment juvenile dermatomyositis
- Dermatomyositis and siddha treatment
- Ayurvedic treatment for dermatomyositis or inflammation of muscles
- Dermatomyositis ayurvedic herbal treatment