Suggest treatment for dermatitis herpetiformis

Posted on Wed, 28 May 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My 24yr. Old daughter cannot get her skin to clear up even after going on a gluten free, dairy free diet. Has been to a dermatologist but that hasn't helped either. She also takes pro-biotics. Do you have any suggestions?
Answered by Dr. Charu Bansal 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Dermatitis herpetiformis

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,
Welcome to healthcaremagic.
I have read your query and understood your concern for your daughter.

As per detail, it seems your daughter is being suffering from Dermatitis herpetiformis. It is characterised by itchy lesions on body.

For this, i usually advice my patients to take Dapsone daily after ruling out G-6 PD status and hemoglobin levels. Additionally , in some patients gluten restricted diet is also highly recommended.

In case, patient does not respond to dapsone and gluten free diet, consideration is given to start steroid in form of pulse or daily dosages.

I will advice you to upload a pic and give me the details regarding all the medications she has been given. Also if possible attach the reports of investigations if any being done.

Kindly get back to me with the details so that i can advice you further.

Good luck.

Follow up: Dr. Charu Bansal 11 minutes later
Her dermatologist has prescribed the following: sodium sulfa wash, differin 3% gel, clindamycin/Benz 1/5%. She also went on a steroid treatment last yr. and it created a lot of stomach issues.
Are there any natural remedies to consider? Would a zincs supplement be helpful?

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Charu Bansal 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
detail follows

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,
Welcome again.

The medications your dermatologist has prescribed are meant for pimples.
I will like to know the type and site of lesions your daughter is having.

Because gluten free diet as you mentioned is given for dermatitis herpetiformis , that is why I told you about its presentation and treat.
But as your dermatologist has given medications for pimples , so I need to know what actually she is suffering from.
or she is having two different issues ??

So kindly tell me the type and site of lesions for which she is taking gluten free diet and upload pic of the lesions so that I can advice you further.
Follow up: Dr. Charu Bansal 4 hours later
Hello again,

Her problem is mainly on her back and shoulders. It does not clear up even with medication. She also experiences some stomach pain and has been able to connect that with dairy and if she eats much gluten.

Her problem does manifest itself like pimples on her back but would like to get to the root of the issue and find a solution to clear it up. Should she have food allergy testing? Could this just be a hormonal imbalance? She is currently living overseas so I cannot take a picture.

Answered by Dr. Charu Bansal 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
details follows

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,

Gluten is present in wheat and rice also. Usually pimples are not associated with dairy and gluten containing diet. But there is definite relation between pimples and oily food. Also, hormonal imbalance is one of the etiological factor for pimples.

But definitely gluten diet is associated with celiac disease. May be the lesions you are talking about are part of celiac disease which is known as dermatitis herpetiformis. Here without seeing pic, i cannot be sure of the diagnosis of the skin lesions.

I will advice you to discuss my opinion with her treating dermatologist if you cannot send the pic. If it comes out to be celiac disease, the treatment is entirely different in contrast to as told by your dermatologist.

So, kindly get back to me once you discuss it with her dermatologist or send the pic. Because treatment for the pimples and dermatitis herpetiformis is totally different. I am having strong suspicion of celiac disease(dermatitis herpetiformis) if she gets stomach pain with gluten diet.

stay healthy.
Dr. Charu Bansal

Dermatologist