Suggest treatment for depressive disorder and anxiety

Dr. Abhishek Kapoor

Psychiatrist

Posted on Tue, 22 Jul 2014 in Mental Health
Question: I am concerned about my 19 year old daughter who is at home living with us over the summer. She has finished her first year in college. During her first year in college she phoned us saying that she had gone to a counselor in campus and they were going to commit her for suicidal thoughts for 48 hours. They did release her to our care the following morning. She was at that point diagnosed with depressive disorder and anxiety. She has tried several medications that have not helped her. She is currently seeing a therapist once a month as well as a doctor for her medication. Lately she has become increasingly worse and as her mother I am deeply concerned about what I am seeing. I called her therapist but because she is 19 years old and she did not sign a release her therapist could not give me any information or even confirm that she is attending her appointments. I have found some drawings and a journal entry in her room that are very alarming to me. My question is what can I do as a parent with a 19 year old daughter who is suffering with depression but has no say in her treatment because she is 19 years old? I would greatly appreciate your advice as this is affecting our entire family.
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can consult a psychologist

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for using healthcare magic. I, Dr Abhishek Kapoor, would help you in this query.

In her case, she needs both medication in form of venlafaxine or paroxetine with psychotherapy like cognitive behavioral therapy. Both these would take time to show the response, but mean time you can do strict observation on her. She also needs some personality assessment to rule out any borderline personality disorder. At age of 19, suicidal ideas or depressive symptoms could be due to underline personality disorder. You can also try for some online consultation. That would help you to get result in better way.

In case, you need further help, you can ask.

Dr. Abhishek Kapoor
Psychiatrist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T