Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
148 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Suggest treatment for depressive disorder and anxiety

Answered by
Dr. Abhishek Kapoor


Practicing since :2007

Answered : 2496 Questions

Posted on Tue, 22 Jul 2014 in Mental Health
Question: I am concerned about my 19 year old daughter who is at home living with us over the summer. She has finished her first year in college. During her first year in college she phoned us saying that she had gone to a counselor in campus and they were going to commit her for suicidal thoughts for 48 hours. They did release her to our care the following morning. She was at that point diagnosed with depressive disorder and anxiety. She has tried several medications that have not helped her. She is currently seeing a therapist once a month as well as a doctor for her medication. Lately she has become increasingly worse and as her mother I am deeply concerned about what I am seeing. I called her therapist but because she is 19 years old and she did not sign a release her therapist could not give me any information or even confirm that she is attending her appointments. I have found some drawings and a journal entry in her room that are very alarming to me. My question is what can I do as a parent with a 19 year old daughter who is suffering with depression but has no say in her treatment because she is 19 years old? I would greatly appreciate your advice as this is affecting our entire family.
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can consult a psychologist

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using healthcare magic. I, Dr Abhishek Kapoor, would help you in this query.

In her case, she needs both medication in form of venlafaxine or paroxetine with psychotherapy like cognitive behavioral therapy. Both these would take time to show the response, but mean time you can do strict observation on her. She also needs some personality assessment to rule out any borderline personality disorder. At age of 19, suicidal ideas or depressive symptoms could be due to underline personality disorder. You can also try for some online consultation. That would help you to get result in better way.

In case, you need further help, you can ask.

Dr. Abhishek Kapoor
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Treatment/Therapy ,  

Recent questions on  Behavioral therapies

doctor1 MD

why do I get disoriented feeling with my anxiety? I have anxiety with my Hashimoto's but here lately I don't feel like I'm here at all since I've...

doctor1 MD

hi I had extremely bad panic attacks my blood pressure was always 140 over 89 now it dropped its not gonna lead to a heart attack or a stroke

doctor1 MD

I have not been feeling very well I'm having a hard time leaving my house I'm having very bad depersonalization . I'm just feeling really out of it...

doctor1 MD

A licensed Therapist has said my son shows signs of ADHD, from what i can see this is true. Im having trouble with school realizing that its a...

doctor1 MD

Hello Doctor...i am writing this for my aunty who is in her fifties.she fears darkness n cries out loudly once the lights are off.i had a detail...

doctor1 MD

My daughter is currently taking Paxil for anxiety and severe OCD. She recently found out that she is pregnant. She has been on 30 mg. for about...

doctor1 MD

i have one sister she's behaviour is diffrent. she is suffer for a diffrent probleum, she is doing any things clean & neatness,she is so many angry...