• question-icon

Suggest treatment for depression

Posted on Mon, 14 Aug 2017 in Mental Health
Question: My son is depressed he is biopolar to What anti depreeent can a doctor perscribe that is not narcotic or habit forming
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Lamotrigine can be used for depression.

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking from HCM for your health related doubts

If he has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder then conventional antidepressants should be avoided to avoid the risk of manic switch. SSRIs like Fluoxetine can be used for depression in bipolar disorder. Lamotrigine is a mood stabiliser drug and has great efficacy in controlling depressive symptoms in bipolar disorder.

So you can talk with a doctor and discuss about starting Fluoxetine or Lamotrigine for him. Both are safe to use, not in narcotic drugs and are not habit forming.

Thanks and Take care
Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist