question-icon

Suggest treatment for depression

Posted on Thu, 28 Jul 2016
Question: I have had depression for almost 20 years. I have taken almost every kind depression medicine that there is.
When I take a new medicine, it works for awhile, maybe about 3-6 months. My doctor told me that he didn't know what else to do for me.
I am 70.
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

One thing you might try is addition of a stimulant medication such as Ritalin. Used in low doses, such as 5mg in the morning and 5mg in the afternoon, this can increase energy and motivation. This works immediately while you are waiting for the antidepressant to take effect. I recommend talking with your prescriber about this strategy.

Please remember to rate and close this answer thread when you are finished and satisfied.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist