Suggest treatment for depression

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Thu, 21 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: Hi Doctor, my father has suddenly got into a bout of depression looks like, he is 81 yrs and feels his end is round the corner, he tried to coordinate with that by fasting one day and just taking name of the almighty. Since he is chronic diabetics and hyper tense patient I had to force IM and then IV to shift him to hospital with the help of doctor, after two days at hospital he forced us to come back home, he is currently on medication 1)haloperidol 2) olimelt as SOS. We are unable to get a good physicist to treat him need advise.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The prescribed medication are not anti depressant

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXX,
Thanks for using healthcaremagic.

I like to know more history about symptom of your father as the prescribed medication are not antidepressant but they are anti psychotic group of medication which is not used in depression alone.

The second thing both the medicine are not to be prescribed together from the first day. There are other safer medication that can be taken for sleep and olimelt should never be prescribed in SOS basis.

Please post a follow up query with chronological appearance of symptoms. Also mention the symptoms of the so called depression that you mentioned in the query.
At the same time if CT scan is available attach the CT scan report and other investigation report so proper diagnosis for his condition can be made.

I look forward to see a detailed query posted.
Thanks and best regards
Dr Ashok

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T