Suggest treatment for depression
Thanks for using healthcare magic. I, Dr Abhishek Kapoor, would help you in this query.
If you have mood swing, that could be due to underline depression. Even after taking amitriptyline 200 mg and trazodone 300 mg, you did not get any manic switch. That shows, you are more towards depression rather than bipolar disorder. If you have mood swings since childhood, that could be due to borderline personality trait. In that case, if you want to take any medication to control mood swing, you can either take any antidepressant like mirtazapine, tianeptine, paroxetine/ escitalopram or mood stabilizer like lamotrigine. Neurontin (gabapentin) could help to control anxiety, but it would not help in controlling mood swings.
At age of 65, i would prefer tianeptine. It is a antidepressant that would uplift and maintain your mood. It also works on old related cerebral degeneration, so it would suite you in better way. Rest, you can discuss with your doctor.
In case, you need further help, you can ask.
Dr. Abhishek Kapoor
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for hypertension with depression
- Suggest treatment for anxiety and depression
- Suggest treatment for post pardum depression
- Suggest treatment for depression and panic attack
- Suggest treatment for severe anxiety and depression
- Suggest treatment for bipolar depression
- Suggest treatment for serious depression
- Suggest possible treatment for depression
- Suggest treatment for insomnia and depression
- What treatment is suggested for depression