Suggest treatment for depression with obsessive ruminations

Posted on Thu, 11 Jun 2015 in Mental Health
Question: Hi doctor
Please tell how to stop negative repetitive thoughts and overthinking.its giving me continuous stress n m nt able to live daily life smoothly.i take n convert evry positive thing into negative one nw a days.i am also suffering from mood disorder.smtyms i feel fully energetic n smtyms so low that i think lyf is a total waste.i m in very much pain coz of this.i want to live and enjoy life.bt this mental pain is a big suffering from me.
Please help doctor N suggest some remedy.i want to get well soon.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It seems depression with obsessive ruminations

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

First of all I like to inform you that from the described symptoms it seems that there is depression along with obsessive ruminations. The condition is so disabling that many of patients with this disease get significant difficulty in doing day today activities.

Regarding treatment it can be treated by either medications or psychotherapy.
among the medications SSRI are generally effective in this condition. Examples of SSRI include escitalopram, citalopram, fluoxetine, fluvoxamine, parroxetine and sertraline. They show improvement after using these medications for at least 4-6 weeks.

Among psychotherapy cognitive behavior therapy most commonly used and it takes about 8-12 sessions of one session per week lasting for one hour.

Considering your symptoms I like to inform you that it is not possible to narrate everything here as takes hours to deliver the therapy.
I will request you to meet a psychiatrist or psychologist in your city to get it treated.

At this stage I recommend following things for better management of negative thoughts and stress arising from them.

1. Diet: Ensure intake of adequate quantity of fiber.

2. Ensure adequate water intake: Follow rule of 1 which i usually advise. 1 glass of water 1 hour before and 1 glass of water 1 hour after every meals will ensure adequate consumption of water .

3. Early morning Exercise: Brisk walking for 30 minutes at a stretch preferably in garden will be very helpful.

4. Avoid tea/coffee/ nicotine and alcoholic beverages: If at all you want to drink something, drink fresh lime water. It is very much refreshing.

5. Start your day with a glass of Lemon water with 2 spoons of honey added.

6. Don't take work so seriously: We all have the feeling to excel in our respective fields and don't spend adequate time with our own self trying to understand our own needs.
Spend time with your family and friends.

7. While working take frequent regular breaks
8. Avoid late night socialization

9. Avoid starring for longer time at the computer screen or TV for longer time

10. Steam inhalation before going to sleep will be very refreshing.

11. Multivitamin and Calcium supplement.

12. Meditation and Yoga

These are simple measures which will help you in long way when practiced adequately.

I hope this answer heps you in your need.
If you have more questions feel free to write back to me.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-ashok-kumar/67386
Thanks and regards
Dr Ashok Kumar
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 2 hours later
Thanks for ur reply doctor.but i have already applied some of above things u have mentioned.
Can u please suggest some medicine apart from all this to have bettr recovery?
in my city XXXXXXX mostly medicines are given for such problems n counselling is less.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The medicine part covered already

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back to Healthcaremagic.

I have already covered the medicine part and any of the medications, which I mentioned can be useful for you. To get one you need to visit a doctor as online prescription is not permissible and it is ethically wrong to do so.

In such cases I generally favor fluoxetine 20 mg as it is effective both for depression as well as obsessive thoughts.

I hope this answers your question.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist