Suggest treatment for depression while on Paxidep CR

Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Pregnancy
Question: I am depressed and use paxidep cr 12.5 mg for the last one year. My husband and i had unprotected sex and im now worried that i may be pregnant with pre cum fluid (he did not finish). The first day of my last period was XXXXXXX 7th and my cycle is a bit long - i think 32-34 days. Please advise if i should do somethig about this or just wait? Should i continue taking paxidep? I read on the net that it causes heart defects
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
discontinuation is better

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I have gone through your question and understand the concerns.
Pregnancy by precum has almost nil incidence.
However, if pregnancy occurs, then paroxetine increases the risk of congenital heart disease in the fetus.
So, you can discontinue the drug after the advice of your physician.
Moreover, if you are not willing to conceive, then you can take emergency contraceptive pill within 72 hours of unprotected intercourse, if that is possible.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN
Maternal and fetal medicine specialist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana