• question-icon

Suggest treatment for depression and social anxiety

Posted on Fri, 14 Jul 2017 in Men's Health
Question: Dear Doctor,
I am male aged 44 years vegetarian. Height 175 cm, weight 78 kg doing Government job. Since childhood, I have been suffering from Depression along with problem of unknown fear. I don't know what type of fear this is. Since 1998 I started taking medicines. Doctors diagonised this as Anxiety with Depression problem. My present problem is Depression (unknown) and Anxiety (unknown nervousness). My present symptoms are facing nervousness and unable to express my facial feelings freely and my face freezes and unable to laugh freely. Also I cannot express any thing in front of others freely anything. This problem aggravates when i am at the centre of attraction. My heart beat increases, breathing and unable to express my facial feelings freely. Same occurs when I am facing this problem with argumentable situations. I have gone through all type of treatments like CBT, talkative therapy, hypno, RTMS, Yoga, pranayam etc. But there is no respite. Presently I am taking revotril 2 mg (some times 2 to 3 tablets) and for depression venlift od 150 mg. Anxiety problem. It seems to be social anxiety. I have been taking treatment since 1998 till date. I went to psychiatrists and psychotherapists. But in vein. Presently I am taking Rivotril 2 mg one tablet in a day. My present problem is I am unable to express my facial expressions freely. I get nervous and shows its symptoms on face. My jaws become freeze and unable to express my facial expressions freely. It becomes hurdle in my life. How to overcome this problem. Kindly advise best medicines to treat my problem. Waiting for early reply. Also lakhs I spent. I ran from one doctor to another doctor in XXXXXXX but in vain. Kindly help me as job is Private Secretary. Kindly advise me the exact medicines so that I can overcome this problem please. Please advise medicines only as I had gone through all the therapies.
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kini 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Train your mind to be always busy in work

Detailed Answer:
Hello Dear. I understand your problem. You have tried all sorts of medicines, psychological counselling and therapy, meditation etc. First of all you need to understand that mind is a subtle matter and its not a physical organ which can be treated with medicines. Medicines may help to some extent but more than medicines you need to follow few techniques where you will keep your mind very busy. There is a saying- an idle mind is a devils workshop. Hence you need to keep yourself very much occupied that you do not have time to think of problems.

1. Connect with others: Loneliness and isolation set the stage for anxiety. Decrease your vulnerability by reaching out to others. Make it a point to see friends, join a self-help or support group, or share your worries and concerns with a trusted loved one.

2. Practice relaxation techniques: When practiced regularly, relaxation techniques such as mindfulness meditation, progressive muscle relaxation, and deep breathing can reduce anxiety symptoms and increase feelings of relaxation and emotional well-being.

3. Exercise regularly: Exercise is a natural stress buster and anxiety reliever. To achieve the maximum benefit, aim for at least 30 minutes of aerobic exercise on most days.

4. Get enough sleep: A lack of sleep can exacerbate anxious thoughts and feelings, so try to get seven to nine hours of quality sleep a night. If you struggle with sleep, adopting smart sleep habits can make a big difference.

5. Be smart about caffeine and alcohol: If you struggle with anxiety, you may want to consider reducing your caffeine intake or cutting it out completely. Same with alcohol, which can make anxiety worse.

6. Train your brain to stay calm: Worrying is a mental habit you can learn how to break. Strategies such as creating a worry period, challenging anxious thoughts, and learning to accept uncertainty can significantly reduce anxiety and fear.

7. Follow this regularly for 21 days. It is said that anything you practice regularly for 21 days becomes a habit

Regarding medicines Fluoxetine or Paroxetine may help to some extent provided you follow whatever tips i suggested in the first place. Fluoxetine is used in doses of 20-60 mg per day. In most cases the drug help to improve the symptoms in about 4-6 weeks. The drug should be taken preferably in morning hours after breakfast. Discuss about this drug with your doctor.

Hope i have answered your question. Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions. I ll be glad to help you.
All the best
With warm regards
Dr Sanjay Kini     

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Sanjay Kini