Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

120 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for depression after losing loved ones

Answered by
Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2012

Answered : 2484 Questions

Posted on Thu, 24 May 2018 in Mental Health
Question: My mother and father died a year ago within 6 months of each other. They both died in my home with me as primary caregiver. I️ did have hospice help. They both died with me in the bed with them telling them to not be scared and that I️ loved them. I️ can’t seem to get past that I️ could have done more. I’m so depressed. Not the wife, mom, or grandmother I️ was.
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Your symptoms are suggestive of possible depression

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for trusting HealthcareMagic for your health concern

I understand that what you are going through is difficult and I am really sorry for your loss. Feelings of depression and guilt are common after the loss of loved one.

However, such symptoms of grief usually resolve in a year. Since your symptoms have lasted for more than a year now, it is best to seek help. You can follow up with a psychotherapist. If psychotherapy alone does not help then treatment with an antidepressant (SSRIs) needs to be initiated.

Hope this answers your question
Please address further questions here


Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on