Suggest treatment for dependency on alcohol and behaviour issues

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: I want to consult about my son, XXXXXXX ( 29 years). He had left studies of B. Tech.(Computers) at his own and started drinking alcohol. He is unmarried and after heavy drinking he becomes too much abusive, impulsive and aggressive. Recently, he had also made cuts in his hand at two occasions with kitchen knife. he had also tried to establish relations with girls, married women and if questioned by parents, he threatens of committing suicide. He tells lies and can't be trusted . He is diabetic too .Kindly provide appropriate solution bringing hin in normalcy
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
He needs intensive treatment.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM

From the history, your son has following problems:
-Dependance on alcohol.
-Personality problem: Leading to behavior issues.
-Possibility of depression: Considering self harm tendency.

I can understand your suffering, as it is very difficult for family members to deal with such case. He needs to be brought in treatment with psychiatrist to start medicines and counseling to control aggression and alcohol use.

Same time it is better to get his liver test done, as alcohol leads to liver problem and abnormality in test result motivates patient for treatment seeking. Also restrict his finances if possible.

Many times in difficult cases like your son, in-patient treatment in rehabilitation center may be required as patients do not cooperate in OPD treatment.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Ashish Mittal

Psychiatrist