Suggest treatment for dengue in a child with hepatosplenomegaly

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Tue, 23 Aug 2016 in Child Health
Question: Hi doctor .. My 8 year old son has been diagnosed positive for dengue. Today is 6th day of fever. And fever subsided. His platelet count yesterday was 2 lac but today it has fallen to 1.45. His RBC is 13.9 n abc 3000. What started to worry me is, his liver has slight enlargement 165 CMs n sgot n sgpt 213 n 152 respectively. Is this worrisome. Kindly advice Asap. Thanks n regards, shwetha
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
​No need to worry.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone very carefully through your query and understand your concern. Dengue is just another viral infection. The reduced WBC count of 3000 indicates such a viral infection. Dengue is often characterized by hepatosplenomegaly (enlargement of liver and spleen). Once the fever starts subsiding, the platelet count starts to come down for a couple of days before it picks up again. You need not be concerned about all these. The only thing to look out for is bleeding manifestations. Unless there are bleeding manifestations, rest assured that recovery would occur soon as dengue is a self limiting disease.

Let me know if I could help further.