• question-icon

Suggest treatment for dementia

Posted on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: My friend talks without knowing shouting out words. He is 60oing on 61 should I be concern?
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Probable sign of dementia

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern. Even though your friend is not yet in the age group when dementia starts it is still possible he might be in the early stages of Alzheimer's.

This could also be Tourette's syndrome, however, if you have noticed other changes in his behavior it is more likely to be dementia.

Alzheimer's usually starts around age 65. Although Alzheimer's disease is characterized by dementia, it should be noted that this is not the only form of dementia. There is also the vascular dementia type, which is common in people with chronic hypertension, heart disease or diabetes. If your friend has any of these risk factors, the chances are high.

I recommend you convince him to get a check-up for further investigation. A thorough medical history, physical exam and blood tests could give a better insight into his condition.

I hope this answers your question.
You are welcome to ask any further questions you might have.
Wishing you all the best.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Ornela Ademovi