Suggest treatment for dementia and burning mouth syndrome

Posted on Thu, 7 Jul 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: my wife who is 82 and suffers from dementia was diagnosed some 2 years ago as suffering from Burning mouth syndrome.

As well as having a feeling of burning tongue she also constantly feels that she has hair in her mouth and is constantly without success trying to get rid of it
Is there any other possible diagnosis for her condition which may be capable of being cured ?

Answered by Dr. Abubakar Siddiqh 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
needs blood tests.

Detailed Answer:

I had gone through your question and understand your concerns. I would like to ask you few more details. I would like to ask you few more details.

Is there any cough with sputum or any coating over coat.
Is she suffering from thyroid or diabetes or any nutritional deficiencies.

Kindly get back to me with the details.

In elderly persons, drugs can cause dryness (anti allergic, anti hypertensives) which may lead to burning sensation in throat.

I suggest you to repeat the blood tests (iron, folic acid, electrolytes, vitamin B12, zinc) and serum auto antibodies for auto immune disorders, ultrasound neck (abnormalities of glands which producing saliva), and x-ray chest for chronic cough (sputum stagnation can lead to dryness followed by burning).

Kindly discuss with your treating doctor, about this investigations and go ahead.

In the mean time, encourage her to follow this tips to combat her burning sensation - take plenty of water and fluids,change of tooth-paste, allow her to chew gum and change of anti hypertensives. (if she is on ACE inhibitors).

Hope this answers your question, if you have additional questions or follow up questions then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your questions

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Follow up: Dr. Abubakar Siddiqh 38 minutes later
No coughing with sputum.

She suffers from type 2 diabetes, but her levels are pretty good, in single figures.

No other neutritional deficiencies.

I presume you agree that there is no cure for BMS

Regards, XXXX

Brief Answer:
Gabapentin- diabetic neuropathy

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

Thanks for considering my answer and for your follow up.

Most of the type 2 diabetes individuals suffers from some form neuropathy, where individuals suffers lack of movements of tongue leading to dryness and burning sensation. Any way, enough of patho- physiology, I recommend her to take drugs like gabapentin or pregablin ( it's a prescription drug, need to see a physician for dosage and schedule). There are several drugs to increase the salivation and to reduce the pain.

Do not worry. it will come down.

All the best. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Dr. Abubakar Siddiqh

ENT Specialist