Suggest treatment for delusional parasitosis

Dr. Shubham Mehta

Psychiatrist

Posted on Wed, 15 Mar 2017 in Mental Health
Question: My son is mentally ill and also suffering from stage four cancer. He was diagnosed in October, and has been complaining of symptoms that he has gnats and other "bugs" crawling all over his body, creating tremendous mental anguish. The doctors have not been able to see any evidence of infestation, but he continues to complain to the point of agony. I realize this probably a delusion, but wonder if there is anything that can help alleviate the symptoms since he is becoming increasingly desperate and in despair.
Answered by Dr. Shubham Mehta 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Risperidone.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome here.
I can understand your concerns.

This is delusional parasitosis. It can alleviated by giving low dose antipsychotic drugs like risperidone or haloperidol (prescription drug). Kindly discuss this with his doctor.
Although difficult to treat, but the drug treatment will certainly help him to calm down.

All the best.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Shubham Mehta 47 minutes later
Thank you, Dr. Mehta. I am encouraged by your response, and so thankful help is available for relieving my son's tormenting symptoms.

Thank you for your prompt reply, I will forward the information and get back to you if there are any further questions.

Sincerely,

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Shubham Mehta 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Happy to help.

Detailed Answer:
Happy to help anytime
All the best.