Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

134 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for deformity of fingers due to sucking

Answered by
Dr. Albana Sejdini

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2006

Answered : 5325 Questions

Posted on Thu, 28 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: Hi my daughter whom is 3 years old has been sucking on her 2 middle fingers since about birth. Her

fingers are now deformed. What can be done about that and should I take her to a specialist of some kind?

If so, what type? thanks.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Orthopedist to be seen...

Detailed Answer:
Hi my dear,

At this point, I recommend to send her to orthopedist in order to evaluate the deformation further and to determine the right treatment strategy.

Usually, such problems will be resolved once your daughter will stop sucking her fingers. However, orthopedist will evaluate the degree of deformation and the best option for correction.

Meanwhile, you can help your daughter in stop sucking her fingers.

All the best!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on