Suggest treatment for deep vein thrombosis

Posted on Mon, 16 Jun 2014 in Sexual Health
Question: I am 44 years old. 200 lbs. I developed a DVT in my left calf from a long international flight. I was diagnosed with the DVT 7 days after the flight and started the Warfarin immediately. I have been on Warfarin for 4 days. Is it unsafe to masturbate? When can I have sex with my girlfriend?
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Masterbation is safe/ sex after complete recovery

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX

I understand your concern.

Deep vein thrombosis is a condition where there is thrombus formed in deep veins (situated in between muscles) of legs. The veins here being big in size & situated in between muscles, the thrombus tends to displace with muscular movements, & cause serious complications. So more the thrombus dissolves at the point of origin, lesser the complications,
- To avoid movements ( Rest),anti coagulant drugs( Warfarin here) with use of graduated compression stockings( as per physician's advice) for unavoidable movements constitutes primary treatment for DVT.
- The result of treatment is to be reassessed by follow up imaging tests ( mostly USG) & the treatment is to be adjusted accordingly under expert advice.
- On an average 50% of patients resume their usual level activity by 4 months. Still, individual full relief is to be of course confirmed by USG as well as treating doctor's impression & declaration.
- Preventive care after full recovery is to be achieved by-
- daily walking,
- preventive dose of Aspirine as per doctor's advice.
- weight reduction

So, now the answer to your query is-
- masterbation ,being without leg muscle strain, is Safe ,
- Sex is to be postponed till complete resolution of the condition (4 months on an average)

I hope, the answer was explaining & helpful to you.Any follow up query is welcome.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale