Suggest treatment for deep skin cut on forehead

Excellent

General Surgeon
Question
my daughter got a vertical 1/2 inch cut in the middle of her forehead yesterday. We went to a pharmacy (we are in italy) where she put 3 steri strips on and a bandaid to cover it. We are just concerned that she didn't close the cut up enough - she did pinch the skin a bit to close it, but said you shouldn't too much because the forehead movements would pull on it with the strips. I am thinking of taking them off and and doing it again. IS this a good idea? And how long do you leave them on? Can she get them wet - go swimming?
Posted Sun, 31 Aug 2014 in Accident and Emergency

Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do not remove steristrip

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare-Magic
Greetings of the day

Dear Ms XXXXXXX

Steri strip is one of the best alternative way to manage wounds over the face, apart from suture.
They have the advantage of avoiding suture scars. Any cut in skin requires gentle approximation of margin for healing to proceed with cosmetically acceptable scar. It is not advisable to remove the steristrip and reinsert them. Doing so will lead to gaping of head. Do not worry about any forehead movements, it will not affect it. You can remove the steristrip on Day 5 following injury, avoid exposure to water or getting it wet.

Do get back to me if you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you.

Best Regards
Dr Deepak Kishore
MBBS,MS,MCH