Suggest treatment for deep inner ear ache

Dr. Rajkishori Godhi

ENT Specialist

Posted on Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi I have a deep inner earache; been to 2 docs including an ENT who has done numerous surgeries on my sinuses (polyps) and my tongue (for superficial cancer); both said my ear looks fine & no redness or infection. This pain began after an airplane trip and has been persistent for 3 wks! What could it be??
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
can be eustachian tube dysfunction

Detailed Answer:
Hello madam and welcome to healthcaremagic,

Ear ache that starts after a flight is usually due to eustachian tube dysfunction. The eustachian tube connects the nose to the ear and helps to maintain middle ear pressure. Block of this tube results in pain, hearing loss, infection and ringing. Prolonged block can result in infection.

You can take decongestant nose drops like otrivin. It helps to keep the eustachian tubes open. Instill 3 drops in each nostril 3 times a day for 6 days and follow it up with steam inhalation.

Chewing gum and blowing balloons can also keep the tubes open.

Valsalva exercise also improves tube patency. For details of the exercise please see video on youtube..

Dr Rajkishori Godhi

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju