Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
176 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for deep inner ear ache

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 709 Questions
Hi I have a deep inner earache; been to 2 docs including an ENT who has done numerous surgeries on my sinuses (polyps) and my tongue (for superficial cancer); both said my ear looks fine & no redness or infection. This pain began after an airplane trip and has been persistent for 3 wks! What could it be??
Posted Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
can be eustachian tube dysfunction

Detailed Answer:
Hello madam and welcome to healthcaremagic,

Ear ache that starts after a flight is usually due to eustachian tube dysfunction. The eustachian tube connects the nose to the ear and helps to maintain middle ear pressure. Block of this tube results in pain, hearing loss, infection and ringing. Prolonged block can result in infection.

You can take decongestant nose drops like otrivin. It helps to keep the eustachian tubes open. Instill 3 drops in each nostril 3 times a day for 6 days and follow it up with steam inhalation.

Chewing gum and blowing balloons can also keep the tubes open.

Valsalva exercise also improves tube patency. For details of the exercise please see video on youtube..

Dr Rajkishori Godhi

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor