Suggest treatment for dark discolouration of skin between thighs

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 4 Nov 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: how to get rid off black coloured skin in between thighs? 10 yrs before i got tenia infection and skin becomes black and lichenification of skin.
Clotrin B cream oral fluconazole 150 mg for 4-6 weeks tried... but skin still black...
chemical peeling possible?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I suggest you to try a skin lightening cream e.g a kojic acid based cream

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I have gone through your query and I have also reviewed the Images.

You seem to have post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIH) which is a common complication of fungal infection of groins and also is a part of lichenification. If I was the treating doctor I would first suggest you to try a cream containing a skin lightening agent e.g Kojic acid. Kojic cream is a kojic acid based cream. It can be used twice daily. Kojic cream is a prescription product and should be used under supervision and guidance of a dermatologist.
Chemical peeling is also an option with lower strengths of glycolic acid e.g 20% Or 35% glycolic acid usually producing good results. Higher strengths e.g 50% or 70% are to be avoided because this area is prone to irritation.
Chemical peels are usually done by the doctor himself/herself at his/her office. A session is usually performed once in every 2 weeks. Chemical peels can be combined with topical treatment with a kojic acid based cream.
Before all these measures, your dermatologist should ensure that there is no active fungal infection and it has been cured adequately with antifungal treatment.