Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

127 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for dark circles

Answered by
Dr. Kalpana Pathak


Practicing since :2006

Answered : 2015 Questions

Posted on Thu, 21 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi I have dark circles from past 15 Years and is becoming more prominent by age . I m 29 and don't have major ailments touch wood ... but my parents n bro have dark circles too . Is it heriditry that I got it at such an young age? Is there a way to reduce it? I have tried many creams in market n visited doc with no luck . Pls help .
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
details below

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing to us.
Genetics is quite an important factor in dark circles. In such cases it usually leads to darkening of areas around the eyes and of upper lid too. Also our periocular skin thickness, certain allergies, vascular flow can be genetically determined. If the skin is too thin and vascular flow sluggish, it could present as increased pigmentation. Similarly certain allergies can lead to frequent itching around eyes which can cause increased pigmentation. Also our facial contour can be genetically determined and can lead to a tear trough under eye Usually such pigmentation increases with stress, illness, visual strain, lack of sleep, ill nutrition,smoking, alcohol and sunexposure.
In your case these suggestions might be useful,
1)Lifestyle modification
take adequate rest, have atleast an 8 hour sleep.
Take a nutritious diet and maintain adequate hydration.
If in case your hemoglobin is low, take iron supplements
Avoid too much of visual strain
Avoid caffeinated beverages, alcohol etc
Avoid stress, go for regular walks

2) Use a sunscreen daily
3) take vitamin c supplement like limcee 500 mg twice in a day
4) Use an eye cream like radant i/avarta undereye gel/depiwhite under eye gel
5) you may take few sessions of peels(glycolic/arginine peels) to help improve dark circles.
6) if there is a tear trough then fillers would be required.

Please understand genetically determined dark circles are difficult to treat however regular care may decrease its appearance.
Hope this helped.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics ,   ,  

Recent questions on  Limcee

doctor1 MD

Hi, doctor, the blood vessels on my pennis is swollen since from more than a month .when I went to the nearby urologist he said I am ok.But the swelling continues and I experience irritation.I used to masturbate and I experienced this swelling...

doctor1 MD

I'm 24 week pregnant... Rt nw I'm 76kg 156 cm, before Conception I was 63, at 24 week wat should be ideal weight gain Last month my gynaec prescribed Calcimax forte but now she changed to Calonat d3... in Calcimax composition of calcium carbonate...

doctor1 MD

I am suffering from recurring mouth ulcers. It s been six month I am struggling with mouth ulcers one after the another mostly on my tongue and it usually takes 20-30 days to disappear. I tried Zincovit tab, B-Forte tab, limcee tab for 2-3 weeks...

doctor1 MD

About 4 days ago I told by my docotor that I have pharyngitis . And was prescribed augmentin to take care of the infection. Along with that I was taking motrin to reduce fever , I was at 102-103.8. I woke up two days ago with the feeling that my teeth have shifted and I tasted blood in my mouth. I walked over to the mirror and saw that my gums have completely swollen and they have bleed a little over the night. Since then my entire mouth, gum wise has completely swollen and is so senstive to where it hurts to even talk. Its very painful. So I went back to the doctor and I was prescirbed magic mouth wash but again.... it hasnt done anything and I feel like my situtation has gotten worse.

doctor1 MD

hi sir my name is XXXXXXX. Actually i am 20yr old(weight48 ) and not getting proper period i think i am pregnant ,if its real I dont want to do surgical abortion . Pls tell me that can i take Limcee 500mg tablets 8 per day, if i take that can i get periods? Or else pls suggest me some tablets by which i can get miscarriage by home itself...... pls pls pls doctor. ..