Suggest treatment for dark circles

Dermatologist
Question
Hi I have dark circles from past 15 Years and is becoming more prominent by age . I m 29 and don't have major ailments touch wood ... but my parents n bro have dark circles too . Is it heriditry that I got it at such an young age? Is there a way to reduce it? I have tried many creams in market n visited doc with no luck . Pls help .
Posted Thu, 21 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
details below

Detailed Answer:
Genetics is quite an important factor in dark circles. In such cases it usually leads to darkening of areas around the eyes and of upper lid too. Also our periocular skin thickness, certain allergies, vascular flow can be genetically determined. If the skin is too thin and vascular flow sluggish, it could present as increased pigmentation. Similarly certain allergies can lead to frequent itching around eyes which can cause increased pigmentation. Also our facial contour can be genetically determined and can lead to a tear trough under eye Usually such pigmentation increases with stress, illness, visual strain, lack of sleep, ill nutrition,smoking, alcohol and sunexposure.
In your case these suggestions might be useful,
1)Lifestyle modification
take adequate rest, have atleast an 8 hour sleep.
Take a nutritious diet and maintain adequate hydration.
If in case your hemoglobin is low, take iron supplements
Avoid too much of visual strain
Avoid caffeinated beverages, alcohol etc
Avoid stress, go for regular walks

2) Use a sunscreen daily
3) take vitamin c supplement like limcee 500 mg twice in a day
4) Use an eye cream like radant i/avarta undereye gel/depiwhite under eye gel
5) you may take few sessions of peels(glycolic/arginine peels) to help improve dark circles.
6) if there is a tear trough then fillers would be required.

Please understand genetically determined dark circles are difficult to treat however regular care may decrease its appearance.
Hope this helped.