Suggest treatment for dark circles and minor periorbital puffiness

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 3 Nov 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have dark eye circles and eyebags . What is recommended to get rid of these : laser, derma fillers or surgery? I feel the dark circles or panda eyes are more if an issue than the bags.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Chemical peels & laser for dark eyes and dermal fillers for bagginess

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to healthcaremagic
I understand your concern.
I have seen the attached photographs.
In such cases I recommend my patients to start with a cream containing licorice extract, niacinamide, soy isoflavones, tetrahydrocurcumin and kojic acid. One such preparation available in the market is melaglow cream by abbot company. It has to be applied twice daily on the upper and lower eyelids. I don't know whether this will be available over the counter in your country.
Besides this use a high spf sunscreen on your entire face at intervals of 3-4 hours during the day time along with an antioxidant like Antoxid HC capsule once daily at night. This treatment has to be continued for atleast 3-4 months to see any noticeable improvement.
You can consider going for chemical peels and laser resurfacing treatment for under eye circles and dermal fillers for eye bagginess . This will help you to a greater extent. Also avoid eye strain, take proper sleep, increase the intake ot fruits and vegetables in your diet, take plenty of water and avoid itching or rubbing in the eyes.
I hope to have answered your queries.
Wish you good luck.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 50 minutes later
While i understand using melaglow around the eyes, i do not understand the need for applying a sun block all over the face? My issue is dark circles around the eyes. So how is applying sun block on the face going to help ?
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Prevents side effects caused by procedures, anti aging treatment

Detailed Answer:
Application of sun block is recommended on the entire face as it acts as anti ageing treatment. Also before undergoing any procedure on the face be it laser treatment or chemical peels sunscreen has to be used during entire length of the procedure. It helps in reducing the side effects caused by sun exposure and also primes the skin to face the procedure better.
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 1 hour later
Ok that makes sense now. You mentioned dermal fillers for eye bags. Do you think i should perhaps cobsider transconjunctival blephoroplasty ? Or do u see my eye bags dont warrant that ?
Brief Answer:
Consult a plastic surgeon to take the fiana call

Detailed Answer:
According to me your eye bags are not very conspicuous to require blepharoplasty but I will recommend you to consult a plastic surgeon to take the final call,