Owl Image

Suggest treatment for dark acne scars

Dermatologist
Question
I had a cystic acne for which the doctor recommended me Minoz 100 for 10 days and minimal Deriva BPO. Now the cystic pimple is going but it has become dark and might scar. What to I apply for the pimple to completely subside and to avoid scarring as a painless bumb is still left . Should I keep applying Deriva?
Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Post acne pigmentation

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to healthcare magic.

I understand from your query that you are concerned about marks left behind by the pimples.

When acne lesions heal, they leave behind either red or blackish marks. This is called as post acne pigmentation.

You could follow the following suggestions-

1. Continue Deriva BPO gel as you have been applying on the pimple prone areas even after the cystic lesion subsides and becomes smaller. This will help to prevent new acne from cropping up at the same areas and also have a peeling effect due to the action of adapelene in the gel. Benzoyl peroxide which is another component of the gel has a bleaching effect too. Hence, apply the gel for at least 6 - 8 weeks once the lesions completely subside.

2. You could apply lightening cream containing 2-4 % Kojic acid at bedtime on the flat black spots. ( those which have completely healed and do not have a bump)

3. You could also get glycolic acid peels done by your dermatologist. This will help your active acne as well as help to lighten the spots.

Hope this helps you.

If you have any more queries, I will be glad to help.

Dr. Johny Chacko

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for dark acne scars 10 minutes later
Thanks a ton doc :)

Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Post acne pigmentation

Detailed Answer:
You are most welcome.

Hope this helps you.

Dr. Johny Chacko