• question-icon

Suggest treatment for dandruff issues in a child

Posted on Tue, 25 Jul 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi, My son 15years old, he has severe dandruff problem. I tried all home remedies but did not see any change. Can you please suggest any medicine.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Management of dandruff

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at HealthcareMagic
If I was his treating doctor I would recommend him to use ketoconazole shampoo twice weekly and apply a lotion containing combination of clotrimazole and beclomethasone on the itchy and flaky areas of the scalp twice daily for 2-3 weeks.
Once the dandruff gets under control he can stop the lotion and can continue with the shampoo.
If the dandruff is associated with itching he can take antihistaminic like tablet levocetrizine 5 mg once or twice daily depending on the intensity of itching.
These are prescription drugs and you need to see the doctor in person to get them.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 25 minutes later
Thanks for the response. Can I get lotion name. Initially can we use lotion and shampoo. Please advice.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Candid B lotion or zydip C lotion

Detailed Answer:

You can use candid B lotion or zydip C lotion.
As far shampoo is concerned you can go for kenz shampoo or Nizral shampoo or KZ shampoo.
Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist