Suggest treatment for dandruff and red spot on scalp
Hello and welcome to healthcaremagic
I am Dr. Kakkar. I have gone through your query, I have seen the prescription dated 5th may 2014.
I would keep a possibility of scalp psoriasis. Though I would prefer a few clinical photographs for confirmatory diagnosis. I would also like to know the response to treatment that was tried.
Psoriasis affects the scalp with well defined plaques with adherent, thick scaling.
For scalp psoriasis, I prefer to start my patients on a medicated shampoo e.g coal tar+salicylic acid based shampoo.
Along with medicated shampoo, I also ask my patients to apply a potent topical steroid lotion with or without salicylic acid, twice daily.
Since psoriasis is a steroid responsive dermatosis, it responds very well to topical steroids, which must be gradually tapered to prevent a rebound flare.
Besides topical steroids, topical Vitamin D analogues like calcipotriol lotion can also be used for scalp psoriasis.
These are prescription medications, I would suggest that you consult your dermatologist before trying these out.
Unfortunately the disease can relapse after seemingly complete cure. The course of psoriasis is indeed marked by remissions and relapses and available treatment options can only induce the disease into remission, rather than permanently cure it.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Hair fall dandruff dry scalp treatment
- Suggest treatment for dandruff in my eyebrows
- Suggest treatment for hair loss and dandruff
- Suggest treatment for recurrent dandruff
- Dandruff in scalp grey hair treatment
- Scalp dandruff itchiness hair loss chronic condition treatment
- Dandruff hair fall hair thinning dry scalp treatment options
- Suggest treatment for hair fall and dandruff
- Suggest treatment for pimples caused by dandruff
- Suggest treatment for hairfall due to dandruff