Suggest treatment for dandruff and hair fall
Dandruff and hair fall treatment
Hello and welcome to healthcaremagic
I am Dr. Kakkar. I have gone through your query and I have understood it.
Dandruff or seborrheic dermatitis is an important cause of scalp itching and increased hair shedding. Controlling dandruff effectively would control your dandruff related hair fall too.
Oiling has no role whatsoever in controlling dandruff, in fact it is said that oiling may increase dandruff. You could rather use a conditioner, instead of hair oil.
Since dandruff is bound to recur, therefore rather than using a regular shampoo, people with dandruff should use an antidandruff shampoo to keep dandruff under check.
If I was your treating doctor I would have asked you to use an antidandruff lotion/shampoo. My choice is 2% ketoconazole shampoo(Scalpe lotion), thrice weekly OR even daily, for 2-4 weeks.
However sometimes a shampoo alone seems insufficient. In such a case dermatologists choose to prescribe a topical steroid lotion (Mometasone lotion e.g Elocon lotion), to be applied once daily at night, at the scalp skin for 2 weeks.
The topical steroid lotion can be stopped once the dandruff is well controlled and thereafter the improvement can be sustained with just an anti-dandruff lotion/shampoo, twice weekly
Hope this information helps
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What are the treatments for hair fall and dandruff
- Suggest treatment for hair fall problem with dry dandruff
- Suggest the treatment for severe hair fall
- Suggest treatment for hair fall problem caused by dandruff
- Suggest treatment for hereditary hair fall
- Suggest treatment for hair fall and dandruff
- Suggest treatment for hair fall in men
- Suggest good treatment for hair fall
- Suggest treatment for hair fall
- Treatment for dandruff and hair fall