Suggest treatment for dandruff and dry scalp

Dr. Johny Chacko

Dermatologist

Posted on Thu, 28 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi,
I have recently moved to XXXXXXX I am having this issue of dandruff and dry scalp since I have moved here. Kindly suggest any remedy.
Thanks
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Dandruff treatment

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to healthcare magic.

I understand from your query that you are having dryness and scaling on your scalp.

This is medically called as Dry dandruff.

You could try the following -

1. Apply warm coconut oil for about 1/2 hour on your scalp before bathing.

2. Use a shampoo containing 2% ketoconazole with added conditioners (e.g- Scalpe lotion). Leaveit on the scap for 2-3 minutes and then rinse off.

3. You could do this regime on alternate days.

4. Avoid leaving hair oil overnight as this could worsen dandruff. Also avoid hair gels and creams.

Hope this helps you.

If you have any more queries, I will be glad to answer.

Dr. Johny Chacko

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Johny Chacko 18 minutes later
Thanks for the reply.
Is this a remedy for itchy scalp too?
Brief Answer:
Dandruff treatment

Detailed Answer:

Yes. Dandruff could cause itching on the scalp. So this treatment will help itching as well.

Dr. Johny Chacko

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari