Suggest treatment for cysts on the ovaries

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Lump
Question: My daughter in law has been diagnosed with 2 cysts growing on her ovaries and one also in her gall bladder. She has been referred for gall bladder removal, but has not received any date as yet. She was diagnosed in July 2016 and presented with pain in the gut problems. After diagnosis the NHS have prescribed Morphine amongst other things and she now cant live without the morphine as it is the only thing which helps her to cope with life. The cysts on the ovaries are growing very rapidly and she has never had a biopsy. I am seriously worried. Is it normal to leave someone who cant eat and keep anything down, for so long. What else can I do to help.?
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I can understand your concern

Detailed Answer:

Hi and welcome.

Of course, this is not normal to delay further diagnostic tests and therapy.

For such young women, diagnosis should be established during a single hospital admission which should be done promptly. She needs laparoscopic exploration and cholecystectomy. Ovarian cyst should be removed during the same procedure only.

Any malignancy should be ruled out with biopsy and tumor markers. If you don't have support at local hospital, you should seek for another institution.

Feel to ask further.
Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee