Suggest treatment for cystitis

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 18 Apr 2016 in Lump
Question: Dr. T Chandrakant
I did like your answer, but my GP has done nothing to help me. My CRP was 138 on the 11thof January and my Amylase was still 200 and he said he referred me for a surgical review but I have heard nothing. And as I have nasty symptoms of Cystitis as well and no appetite and loosing weight, I asked whether he could at least do a urine and blood test to see whether I am improving or getting worse, but I have bee told I must wait for my surgical review! Bit depressed, cold, in pain and frustrated now. I'm not so young anymore and would rather just die than live like this!
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There must be emergency services where you can bypass the GP.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
I can understand.
When is that you have got an appointment with Surgical Specialist?
Which country do you stay in?
You must have the facility of ER that is Emergency Room in some or the other form.
Please visit one such facility, so that basic tests as mentioned previously can be done to come to a conclusion and get treated appropriately.
How can such a case wait for Surgical review, well you are already under treatment but needs further investigations and added treatment if necessary.

I hope it should work this way.
Whichever place one stays, there must be a facility that the patient can be seen, evaluated, investigated and admitted and treated whenever necessary, as this is a norm all over the world.

Please enlighten me.
Drink plenty of fluids, do not allow dehydration to set in.

Awaiting for your feedback.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Yep, I sat in A&E and been admitted and discharged to await a surgical review, as, apart from severe pain, I've not got a fever. I waited 6 hours m2x in A&E and was given Codeine and Tramadol for the pain. My GP said the Cystitis is a 'red herring and unrelated but gave me a course of anti-biotics and Omeprazole but the symptoms of Cystitis never went away and I have a dull pain and bloating after food but I feel like they think I'm some kind of Hypochondriac so I've given up complaining and eat bananas and cereal and drink water as this causes me the least discomfort!
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Let us see what the Surgical Specialist has to find and order for.

Detailed Answer:
Good that at least you are at A&E.
It is possible that the Surgical Specialist is busy and will come soon.
If the cystitis is not getting better with antibiotics, it is possible that the fluids trickled from above might be irritating the urinary bladder from outside.

Any Ultrasound done?
Any other tests?