Suggest treatment for cystitis

Dr. Ronald Schubert

Posted on Thu, 12 Feb 2015 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: i am a 52 years man who has just been diagnosed with cystitis. I have also been scheduled for urine mcs. what should i expect and what is the best coourse of treatment for me?
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Cystitis common in men

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for contacting HCM with your health care concerns.

you have recently been diagnosed with cystitis. Cystitis is an infection of the bladder and for men that is fairly common but it does need additional investigation. Because men don't get bladder infection that often the usual cause for men is incomplete emptying of the bladder. When the bladder does not completely empty there is residual urine in the bladder that can set up for infection. The most common cause of incomplete bladder emptying is prostate enlargement. Your urologist is going to probably use a bladder scan to see how much urine you have before you void. Then he will measure the stream as you void and then measure again with a bladder scan how much urine is still left in your bladder after voiding. If there is over 40cc of urine still in your bladder then you are not completely emptying. He may then do additional tests to see how large your prostate is and if it is impeding your ability to void. If the prostate is the cause he may suggest surgery or using any of a number of medication to reduce the size of the prostate like Proscar or Avodart. If the prostate is not impeding flow but your muscle to empty your bladder is weak he may recommend a medication like Flomax that will reduce back pressure and allow for easier emptying of your bladder.

In the mean time you were given and antibiotic to tried the current infection. Remember to take the medication as directed and finish the antibiotic. To prevent recurrence of infection. avoid caffeine as it may cause bladder irritation and drink plenty of fluids. When urinating relax and wait until you have completely emptying before leaving the urinal.

In summary
1. cystitis new needs additional investigation
2. take all your antibiotics as directed
3. Drink plenty of fluids
4. wait till you completely empty your bladder before leaving urinal
5. avoid caffeine
6. Urine MCS Voiding measurements
7. Additional medications maybe necessary Proscar for prostate enlargement or Flomax for flow problems

I hope I answered your question. Please contact HCM again with your health care concerns and questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj