Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
177 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Suggest treatment for cystitis glandularis

Answered by
Dr. P. T. Patil


Practicing since :1971

Answered : 10119 Questions

Posted on Tue, 2 Dec 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: i have had cystitis glandularis for almost 20 years now ( i am male aged 58). Symptoms morph in different ways but back pain and anal / scrotum itching are the worst. I have seen 8 urologists and been told no known cause and no known cure. latest urologist has prescribed Cipralex for 28 days to see if this will reduce anxiety and in turn reduce bladder pain? any suggestions
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Cystitis Grandularis is notorious disease to treat

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you are poor victim of a notorious disease Cystitis Grandularis.

This is a disease where no cause of the disease is known but universally accepted to be due to chronic irritation of bladder mucosa .

The drug Cipralex is an anti anxiety and antidepressant drug .and may help yo allay your anxiety but it has its own side effects for long term use.

The last extreme and aggressive treatment option to be be free from miserable pain is to consider removal of Bladder ( Radical Cystectomy) with replacement of bladder with Ileal Conduit or Indiana pouch.(Neo Bladder)

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to write if you have more questions I shall be happy to help you .
Thanks and Regards .

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 57 minutes later
Could you suggest any alternative approach or medicine that i could try?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Do urine culture .

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up.
You have to do urine culture at frequent intervals and take the appropriate antibiotics with pain killers.
Thanks and Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Back pain

doctor1 MD

My son has been sick since sunday, now Friday night with fevers as high as 106, but average 104. He has has bad neck and back pain. Dr. said...

doctor1 MD

son in law is having night sweats where he soaks the bed, and it also happens during the day. he has low back pain, doesn't feel like eating much...

doctor1 MD

sir,my name is sumona.i am 34 years lady.i am suffering from slip disk from last 4 years.i have shown my problem to 3-4 orthopadic and neuro...

doctor1 MD

My boyfriend has the following symptoms and he is freaking out, I don't think it's a big deal. Slight burning when he urinates, some back pain, and...

doctor1 MD

I get a lower back pain which is excrucitating right after my cycle ends.its remians for 4-5 days. And have to take painkillers.Its very...

doctor1 MD

very small amount of brownish discharge after wiping, I finished my period just under 2 weeks ago, although I can't be precise. any reason for this?

doctor1 MD

I am 77 and take heart disease medications. I have lower back pain , am fatigued and joint pain. Suggestions?