Suggest treatment for cystic fibrosis

Dr. Suresh Heijebu

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in General Health
Question: To Dr XXXXXXX what is the correct treatment for cystic fibrosis?
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 21 hours later
Brief Answer:
Multimodality approach is needed.

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Madam.

I can understand your concern.

I apologize for the delayed response.

Cystic fibrosis requires multimodality of approach.

A combination of pulmonologists, Gastroenterologist and Cardiologist is required.

Combination of drugs like--
Pancreatic enzyme supplements
Multivitamins (including fat-soluble vitamins)
Mucolytics
Nebulized, inhaled, oral, or intravenous antibiotics
Bronchodilators
Anti-inflammatory agents
Agents to treat associated conditions or complications (eg, insulin, bisphosphonates).
Agents devised to potentially reverse the abnormalities in chloride transport.

You can have expert services at following Centers in XXXXXXX

1 XXXXXXX
2.PGI XXXXXXX
4.CMC vellore

Post your further queries if any.
Thank you

Follow up: Dr. Suresh Heijebu 1 hour later
Thank you for detailed explanation.What is the average survival for such children
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 3 minutes later
Brief Answer: XXXXXXX life span is 40yrs

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Madam.

I can understand your concern.

With good treatment, one can expect to live up to 40yrs of age.

This can largely vary on gene characteristics and other Comorbid conditions.

Thank you.
Follow up: Dr. Suresh Heijebu 1 minute later
thank you dr, is this caused by genes, none of my family members have ever heard of this?
Brief Answer:
CF is autosomal recessive disorder

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Madam.

CF is an autosomal recessive disorder, which means the parents may not be diseased or be just carriers.

Hence, it is not detected in past generations or might have been missed.

Thank you.

Follow up: Dr. Suresh Heijebu 3 minutes later
Is any homeo medicine which can cure CF?
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Homeo offers no cure for CF

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Madam.

There is absolutely no cure for CF either in allopathy or in other complimentary medicines.

Post your further queries if any.
Thank you
Follow up: Dr. Suresh Heijebu 5 minutes later
IS THERE AWAY TO SCREEN FOR THIS DISEASE/
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes genetic screening available

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Madam.

Yes, genetic screening can be offered for this CF.

Detecting mutations for CTFR gene will help to predict the onset of this disease.

It can be offered at supreme institutions as I already mentioned.
Thank you