Suggest treatment for cyst in right breast

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Breast Cancer
Question: I have a lump in my left breast, after doing a scan, I discovered it was cyst, the cyst is in my right breast, 5.0'clock liner ring measures 1.37×0.84cm and contains a hypnotic area within it, a highly echogenic structure exhibiting reverberation artefacts is seen along its anterior wall, no pole tenderness eliated over it, the skin and nipples are normal. There were also smaller sized cysts found in the left breast, oval/rounded shaped sizes ranging between 0.84cm to 1.97cm. I was advised to see a surgeon which I haven't done yet, but I've been taking ampiclox capsules and I noticed the lump has reduced. I'll like your advice on if I should continue with the drugs or see a surgeon to take out the lump. Also, is it common to have a cyst grow that large?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Complete antibiotic course; if nt helpful - doctor

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help.

I would rightfully like to start by speaking about the histology of the lump, i.e. whether this is a cyst, an abscess/infection, a tumor, etc. If at all it is in fact an abscess/infection then it would respond to antibiotics (eg. ampiclox) and resolve; but if at all it is of any other origin then there is no point of using antibiotics ma'am.

After providing you with that information, I am sure you would understand if I would request you to continue with the antibiotic course, complete it and see if the lump resolves. But if it does not, then it was purely coincidental that the antibiotic coverage and the reduction in size of the lump took place at the same time.

In my opinion, the most likely diagnosis could be a fibroadenoma. These are benign (non-cancerous) lesions seen in young females of reproductive age. They are harmless and usually can remain in a woman's breast throughout their life without really causing any discomfort or harm. My wife was also found to have two in her left breast around 6 years ago, and they are still the same size.

I would also like to add, if at all the antibiotics do not help in complete resolution of the lump, then request your doctor for a needle-core biopsy to find the cause. But if at all the diagnosis is confirmed to be a fibroadenoma, do write back to me before making any decisions as I have my wife's experiences to share.

I hope you find my response helpful. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T