Suggest treatment for cyst around aorta

Dr. Gaurav Katiyar

Posted on Wed, 20 Aug 2014 in Veins and Arteries
Question: I had a cat scan because of pain in the abdominal area and they found a non cancerous cyst approximately 10 x 10 cm. wrapped around my aorta. It seems this was there 5 years ago and has not changed. I don't recall anyone telling me about it then, but now the GP wants me to see a surgeon. I am a 72 female in generally good health. I take no medications except Nexium, which I just began this past month for stomach problems. I do have one gall stone and some fluid that is around the lining of my heart, but has been there for years and has not changed. I just stopped using the estrodiol patch after 20 years and have had no affects from that.
The reason for going to the doctor in the first place, I was waking most mornings with pain in my lower abdominal area that was getting worse. I was woken by the pain and after relieving myself, would usually go away, but it had begun to last longer and my stomach was getting upset at the same time. All this brought me in to the doctor's. I had complained about this, on and off, for several years, I had the cat scan 5 years ago because of similar pain. I also have experienced shortness of breath when bending and going up stairs. Since seeing my GP I have discovered if I stay away from salt in my diet, I have less pain, is it possible the cyst is affected by the salt intake? I have not seen a surgeon as yet, because I have not determined what type to see. I am thinking of going to see a heart specialist first to see what he thinks. My GP did not have a surgeon to send me to, but suggested I go to a teaching hospital in the XXXXXXX area.
Answered by Dr. Gaurav Katiyar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Consult Vascular surgeon

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through your query. As you have mentioned, following abdominal pain you had CT scan and found that a Cyst 10x10 cm wrapped around your aorta.

Any change in diameter of aorta put pressure over the cyst and it causes pain. Pain has no direct relation to salt intake. But increase salt cause increase in blood pressure resulting in dilatation of aorta and hence the pain.

Cyst is the cause of pain and since the symptoms are increasing, you need to consult a vascular surgeon as soon as possible. Yes, you can consult at teaching hospital in XXXXXXX

Hope I have answered you. You can close the discussion and rate the answer, if you don't have further query.

Wish you good health
Dr. Gaurav Katiyar
For further queries you can contact me directly on http://bit.ly/DrGaurav
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj